Business Communication – Part I – Revised FYBFM Syllabus 2016
Modules at a Glance
|Sr. No.||Modules||No. of Lectures|
|1||Theory of Communication||10|
|2||Obstacles to Communication in Business World||10|
|4||Language and Writing Skills||13|
Business Communication – Part I – Syllabus Overview
|Sr. No.||Modules / Units|
|1||Theory of Communication|
|Concept of Communication: Meaning, Definition, Process, Need, FeedbackEmergence of Communication as a key concept in the Corporate and Global worldImpact of technological advancements on Communication
Channels and Objectives of Communication: ChannelsFormal and Informal- Vertical, Horizontal, Diagonal, Grapevine
Objectives of Communication: Information, Advice, Order and Instruction, Persuasion, Motivation, Education,Warning, and Boosting the Morale of Employees(A brief introduction to these objectives to be given)
Methods and Modes of Communication:
|2||Obstacles to Communication in Business World|
|Problems in Communication /Barriers to Communication: Physical/ Semantic/Language / Socio-Cultural / Psychological / Barriers, Ways to Overcome these Barriers
Listening: Importance of Listening Skills, Cultivating good Listening Skills – 4
Introduction to Business Ethics: Concept and Interpretation, Importance of Business Ethics, Personal Integrity at the workplace, Business Ethics and media, Computer Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility Teachers can adopt a case study approach and address issues such as the following so as to orient and sensitize the student community to actual business
|Theory of Business Letter Writing: Parts, Structure, Layouts—Full Block, Modified Block, Semi – Block Principles of Effective Letter Writing, Principles of effective Email Writing,
Personnel Correspondence: Statement of Purpose, Job Application Letter and Resume, Letter of Acceptance of Job Offer, Letter of Resignation [Letter of Appointment, Promotion and Termination, Letter of Recommendation (to be taught but not to be tested in the examination)]
|4||Language and Writing Skills|
|Commercial Terms used in Business Communication Paragraph Writing: Developing an idea, using appropriate linking devices, etc
Cohesion and Coherence, self-editing, etc [Interpretation of technical data, Composition on a given situation, a short informal report etc.]
# Listening Comprehension
Reference books for subject: Business Communication – Part I
|Business Communication – Part I : ~|
|• Agarwal, Anju D(1989) A Practical Handbook for Consumers, IBH.
• Alien, R.K.(1970) Organisational Management through Communication.
• Ashley,A(1992) A Handbook Of Commercial Correspondence, Oxford University Press.
• Aswalthapa, K (1991)Organisational Behaviour, Himalayan Publication, Mumbai.
• Atreya N and Guha (1994) Effective Credit Management, MMC School of Management, Mumbai.
• Bahl,J.C. and Nagamia,S.M. (1974) Modern Business Correspondence and Minute Writing.
• Balan,K.R. and Rayudu C.S. (1996) Effective Communication, Beacon New Delhi.
• Bangh, LSue, Fryar,Maridell and Thomas David A. (1998) How to Write First Class Business Correspondence, N.T.C. Publishing Group USA.
• Banerjee, Bani P (2005) Foundation of Ethics in Mangement Excel Books 10.Businessworld Special Collector’s Issue: Ethics and the Manager
• Barkar, Alan(1993) Making Meetings Work, Sterling Publications Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
• Basu,C.R.(1998) Business Organisation and Management, T.M.H.New Delhi.
• Benjamin, James (1993) Business and Professional Communication Concepts and Practices, Harper Collins College Publishers, New York.
• Bhargava and Bhargava91971) Company Notices, Meetings and Regulations
• Black, Sam (1972) Practical Public Relations, E.L.B.S. London.
• BoveeCourtland,L and Thrill, John V(1989) Business Communication, Today McGraw Hill, New York, Taxman Publication.
• Burton, G and Thakur, (1995) Management Today- Principles and Practices. T.M.H.,New Delhi.
• Darrow, Richard, Forrstal, Dan and Coolman, Aubrey (1967) Public Relations Handbook, TheDartwell Co., Chicago.
• Dayal, Ishwar(9810) Managing Large Organizations: A Comparative Study.
• Drucher,P.F.((1970) Technology, Management and Society, Pan Books London.
• Drucher,P.F.((1974)Management Responsibilities Practices, Heinemann, London. 22.Eyre, E.C. (1985) Effective Communication Made Simple, Rupa and Co.Calcutta.
• Ecouse Barry, (1999), Competitive Communication: A Rhetoric for Modern Business, OUP.
• Fisher Dalmar, (1999), Communication in Organisation, Jaico Pub House, Mumbai, Delhi.
• Frailley, L.E. (1982) Handbook of Business Letters, Revised Edn. Prentice Hall Inc.
• French, Astrid (1993) Interpersonal Skills. Sterling Publishers, New delhi.
• 27 Fritzsche, David J (2005) Business Ethics: A Global and Managerial Perspective McGraw Hill
• Garlside, L.E. (1980) Modern Business Correspondence, McDonald and Evans Ltd. Plymouth.
• Ghanekar,A(1996) Communication Skills for Effective Management. Everest Publishing House, Pune.
• Graves, Harold F. (1965) Report Writing, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
• Gupta, Anand Das (2010) Ethics, Business and Society: Managing Responsibly Response Books 32.Gupta, Dipankar (2006) Ethics Incorporated: Top Priority and Bottom Line Response Books
• Krevolin, Nathan (1983) Communication Systems and Procedures for Modern Office, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
• Lesikar, Raymond V and Petit, John D.(1994) Business Communication: Theory and Application , Richard D. Irwin Inc. Ilinois.
• Ludlow,Ron.(1995) The Essence of Effective Communication, Prentice , New Delhi.
• 36.M. Ashraf, Rizvi (2006) Effective Technical Communication Tata McGraw Hill
• Martson, John E. 1963) The Nature of Public Relations, McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
• Majumdar,P.K.(1992) Commentary on the Consumer protection Act, Prentice, New Delhi.
• McQuail, Denis (1975), Communication, Longman.
• Merrihue, William (1960) Managing by Communication, McGraw Hill, New York. 41.Mishra Rajiv K (2006) Code of Conduct for Managers Rupa Company
• Monippalli, M.M. (1997),The Craft of Business Letter Writing, T.M.H. New Delhi.
• Montagu,A and Matson , Floyd(1979) The Human Connection, McGraw Hill,New York.
• Murphy, Herta and Hilde Brandt, Herbert W (1984) Effective Business Communication, McGraw Hill, New York.
• Parry, John (1968) The Psychology of Human Communication.
• Parson, C.J. and Hughes (1970) Written Communication for Business Students, Great Britain.
• Peterson, Robert A and Ferrell, O.C (2005) Business Ethics: New Challenges for Business Schools and Corporate Leaders Prentice Hall of India Pvt., Ltd
• Phillip, Louis V. (1975) Organisational Communication- The Effective Management, Columbus Grid Inc
• Business Communication by J.K. Sinha, Galgotia Publishing House, Delhi
• Effective Communication in Business by Walf and Warner, Southern Western Publications Cine Innali, U.S.A.
• Today’s Business Letter Writing by Avett Elizabeth Maynard, Prentice Hall, New Delhi